Ah, the last day of the year. A good time to reflect and recap the year. 2013 was a year of ups and downs, of tragedy and triumph. As I sit here in our home with a glass of wine and look back, I have to say that I really hope 2014 doesn’t kick my ass like 2013 did.
Here are some major highlight (and lowlights, just for balance)
- Started and completed my 500 hour yoga teacher training in LA with Noah Maze. 6 trips to the City of Angels, 250 contact hours, a ton more hours spent in webinars, online chats and homework. Oh, the neverending homework…pose research sheets, class plans, reviews. It was a ton of work. It was ridiculous. And yet, I learned a lot and actually miss it.
- Found out my Dad had a rare form of cancer called GIST – gastro intestinal stromal tumor. He lost his battle after four months. We were there with him when he left this body and moved onto the next world. I know that I will see him again. And that I was very blessed to have 37 amazing years with him on this planet.
- My husband and I bought our first home. 3 beds, 2 baths. It’s been a lot of work. And I have loved every minute of it. Well, except maybe the moles in the backyard. And all the caulking. The incessant caulking. And the constant trips to Home Depot. Oh, who am I kidding…owning a house, while rewarding, is a shit ton of work. Some of it I have not loved. But I love having a home to call our own.
- We got our first pet – a sweet little 8-week old Holland Lop rabbit. Her name is Lil Miss Sassy. She’s full of life. And she’s sassy, just like her Mom. We are in love with our little puffball. She’s the best thing ever.
- I fell in love with Ashtanga Yoga, after having been absent from that practice for about 8 years. All it took was a good teacher with a great eye and a willingness to let go of the conventions of the practice. A more contemplative and contemporary approach that does not hold rigid to the dogma of the practice. It has given me greater strength and focus. I am excited to see what this new year holds on the mat and in my practice.
- I taught a lot of yoga. Sometimes it was amazing and rewarding and wonderful. Other times, it was really fricking hard and downright difficult. Yes, that happens to yoga teachers every once in a while. We struggle like the rest of humanity. I lost a few classes and picked up some classes. I realized what I love to teach and what’s not my cup of tea. I can say that this year cemented my love of teaching. It inspired me and kicked my ass like no other year before. I know, in my heart, that I am following my dharma and teaching from a place of sincere love and joy. And if some folks aren’t a big fan of what I have to offer, so be it. That’s life. You can’t like everyone.
That just about wraps up 2013. Here’s to a great new year, filled with abundance, joy, laughter, love and frequent ass kickings.